Agribusiness Funding in Mexico
- Demeter Capital (“Demeter” or the “Company”) is seeking $250 million of equity to invest in +/-15 agribusiness companies in Mexico
- Founded by entrepreneurs, investment bankers, consultants and investors in 2016
- Demeter has committed $1 million
- Implements technology and marketing innovations to improve the profitability of its target companies
- Management team has deep expertise and experience in the agriculture sector and a broad network of relationships
- Mexico’s agriculture ministry estimates agribusiness exports will exceed $36Bn in 2019
- The agriculture sector in Mexico for the last decade has been growing over 9% per year
- Mexico has 11 Free Trade Agreements with 45 countries regarding its agricultural products with a potential export market of 1.46 billion population
- Agribusiness sector in Mexico lacks venture capital funds – no growth equity or private equity funds
Demeter Capital will invest in companies with the following characteristics:
- Strong management teams
- At least one brand and/or product which is well positioned in the market
- Strong potential for high growth in 1-5 years domestically and internationally with critical mass potential
- Products with significant competitive advantages in the sector
- Proprietary technologies with high large-scale impact potential
- Products and services that are in-line with market trends
- Positive social and environmental impact
- Managing Director of Industrias Marves, Agrovim and Marves aQstic, member of the Board of Directors of Marves Industries in North Carolina and Marves Aq
- Member of the transition team of the Government of the State of Michoacan in Economic Development and Social Development in 2002, later serving as Director of Attraction of National Investment in the Ministry of Economic Development
- Member of the Michoacan Business Council, the National Chamber of the Transformation Industry, the National Chamber of the Textile Industry, the Municipal Planning Institute of Uruapan, as well as the Council of Young Entrepreneurs of CitiBanamex
- Bachelors in Economics at ITESM University specializing in political economy and Mexican political system
- More than 25 years of experience in high-level positions in Federal Public Administration where he participated in the design and implementation of various public policies.
- Expert in issues related to infrastructure development, competition and economic regulation, project evaluation, agribusiness and private equity.
- Four years as CEO of the Capital and Investment Fund for the Agricultural Sector (FOCIR), promoting the development of projects in the rural and agro-industrial sector through instruments of private equity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from the Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico (ITAM).
- Master’s degree and a Doctorate in Economics from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Experience in agribusinesses for more than 20 years, farming produce, pecans, forage for cattle and also hog farms and cattle ranching.
- Named President for the Pork Producers Association in Sonora by , where he served as President for 9 Years, and has been a board member for 12 years.
- Founder and CEO of Agropecuaria Camou SA de CV, which operates Hog Farms and Pecan Orchards, exporting to Japan and China among other countries.
- Co-founder and Board member of a wine producer in Northern Mexico Uvas de Altura SA de CV, Sonora’s first winery.
- Majored in Economics from ITESM university and MBA International Management from Thunderbird School of International Business.
- Partner of PAG, an international advisory practice counselling domestic and foreign clients in transactional matters for over 20 years
- His practice includes a wide range of financing transactions and debt and equity investments; M&A, public-private partnerships schemes, joint ventures and international transactions in a wide variety of industries and sectors
- Founded and chairs the Mexican-German Business Association (Asociación de Empresarios México-Alemanes, A.C., “EMAAC”), a non-profit organization comprising 100+ SMEs, organized to support their internationalization endeavors
- EMAAC has recently been recognized by the German government as a best practice globally, with achievements such as the conception and delivery of some of the main international agreements regarding SME development amongst Germany and Mexico
- Qualified attorney from the Escuela Libre de Derecho, and has earned a masters degree from Queen Mary, University of London (LL.M., Banking and Finance)
- Luis has earned diplomas from the GIZ, Abbotwood and PLI.